If you're the type of "Santa" to think "Mrs. Claus" might enjoy some luxurious new lingerie in her stocking....let us help you avoid some of the mis-steps that can happen when gifting intimate apparel.
One of the most important things to remember when gifting lingerie is that it's all in the presentation!! You need to go into your shopping experience with a very clear vision of the gift you are seeking. There are all kinds of factors that play into picking the right lingerie - including color, fabric, fashion, function and above all....FIT!
No matter how pretty the package is wrapped - if you gift lingerie that is not the proper size; you have stepped into "bad gift" territory. If you "guess" her size to be too small....she may start thinking, "Wow, he thinks I am much smaller than I am" and if you "guess" her size to be too large....she may start thinking, "Wow, how big does he think I am anyway?" NEITHER is producing any positive effects for her self-confidence. Some would encourage you to do some research before buying...rummage through her intimate drawer - seeking tags with crucial sizing information. Unfortunately, this approach - along with the dreaded, "She's about your size...." - is a dangerous one:
1. What if you get caught?!? If you are in a relatively new relationship - she may very well wonder WHY you are rummaging through her personal things. This is hardly helpful in building trust.
2. What if the sizes she has in her drawer varies....which one is right? Actually, since 80% of all women wear the wrong size bra (through no fault of their own), chances are HIGH that she has a variety of sizes, because she is continuing to search for a comfortable fit. This may mean that NONE of her bras are the right size. If, however, she has been professionally fitted and is wearing the proper size - sizing can still vary quite a bit between brands, US/UK/German bras, and styles. Using this methodology is an "educated guess" at best.
3. When considering a matching bra and panty set - try to stick with what you know. If she has never worn a thong in front of you (and has verbalized no urge to do so) - picking a set with a thong may not be a good gift. Remember, picking something that is visually appealing to you is fabulous BUT it is HER gift, so make sure it's something she will enjoy wearing!
4. Color matters. This is one of the easiest things to get right. You spend time with her and know the colors that she tends to gravitate toward, to play it safe - stick with those. If she wears a lot of black, you really have a "get out of jail free" card - ANY color can be worn under black/dark colors; so choose a color that you feel would make her eyes "pop", look great with her skin tone, etc.
5. When in doubt, pair a Gift Certificate - for a reputable lingerie boutique - with a fun gift she can use right away (such as a silk robe, scented candle, jewelry, perfume, etc.) Giving her money to spend on herself (guilt-free) is a FUN gift alternative. Or, suggest you make a day of it and go along to the boutique for her fitting, give your opinion on lingerie options she tries, take her out for lunch or dinner and just ENJOY a day together.
A gift of lingerie should make a woman feel desired, coveted, cherished, and special. GREAT FITTING lingerie will boost a woman's self-confidence, raise her posture, and improve her general outlook (YES, a comfortable bra can do all that!). Enjoy giving the gift of comfort this Holiday Season!